Sunday, June 16, 2013

Why not put all your childhood journal entries on a blog?

Ever since I was four years old, I've felt compelled to keep a record of my life. I remember, and still have somewhere, the little stapled booklet with "Dear Diary" on the front (penned by my mom). Inside, a simple little entry dictated in my mothers neat printing.

"Dear Diary, Matthew is weird, but he's cute"
Or something to that effect, I haven't found it yet.

Where did I get the idea for this?
That one chipmunks show where the chipettes all have diaries. They write all sorts of scandalous secrets then peak at eachothers books. Drama ensues.

Ever since then I've been keeping record of my thoughts, doings, purchases, meals goals and secrets.
There are whole months and sometimes years worth of gaps but there still remains a sizeable and motley collection of books covered in stickers and doodles and cats.
Keeping the evidence of my inner awkward weirdo growing up, has been a riot to me now as a fairly grown-up person. The language I used to use, the stuff I thought was the end of the world or big news has changed so much over the years. Seeing areas where I've changed so much with things that have never changed (list-writing, being hard on myself, goofy pseudo-fancy writing attempts) has been powerful for gaining insight into who I am now and where I want to go. 

Blabbity blabbity blah,

But at the moment, all of these books are sitting in my mothers house collecting dust with no way of looking through them if I am not currently stationed at Home Base.
So I will post them here.

Plus, some of them are hilarious (at least my brother and I think so)

Enjoy. 
The entries have been organized by year into each month. So I shall start with January, the logical starting point.

No comments:

Post a Comment